Marriage is considered as one of the most important samskara without which a person cannot get fulfillment in Dharma, Artha,
Kama and Moksha. Marriage is the only means through which a person can pay one’s Pitru Runam by giving birth to a child.
Muhurta for marriage:
The selection of proper muhurta for marriage is a comlex process and it is discussed in 5 stages.
- 10 malefic doshas are to be avoided.
- Other doshas like Ekavimsati maha doshas (21 doshas) are to be avoided.
- Panchanga suddi and lagna suddhi are to be verified.
- Tribala Suddhi of Sun, Moon and Jupiter are to be seen.
- Other considerations like Tarabala, Chandra bala and Panchaka suddhi, Jamitra suddhi are to be seen.
Months: Marriages can be performed during Solar months of Vrischika, Makara, Kumbha, Mesha, Vrishabha and Mithusna. In Lunar months the Magha, Phalguna, Vaisakha, Jyehta are considered to be auspicious. Karteeka and Margasira also considered to be good.
Nakshatras: All fixed nakshatras, Mrigasira, Revati, Anuradha, Moola, Swati, Magha and Hasta are considered to be auspicious.
Tithis: 2,3,5,7,10,11 and 13 are good.
Days: Days of benefic planets are the best and the others are medium.
Lagna: Lagna suddhi is important. The 7th and 8th houses should be vacant.
In marriage muhurta, Sun in 1/7 houses, Moon in 1/6/7/8/ houses, Mars in 1/7/8/10 houses, Mercury in 7/8/ houses, Jupiter in 7/8 houses, Venus in 3/6/7/8 houses, Saturn in 1/7/12 houses, Rahu/Ketu in 1/7 houses and lagna lord in 6/8 houses should be avoided. Preferably 7th and 8th houses should be vacant.